Pages

Thursday, November 29, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 29

Nov 29 - Day 29


I’m proud to say that a good deal of my patience, tolerance and acceptance of others is due to my mother’s influence.  Like most kids I really didn’t appreciate her when I was growing up. Not to say I didn’t love her it’s just that as a kid, she was just my mom. But as I became a wife and mother I realized how important her influence has been in my life.

When my husband was dying, she couldn’t come out here because of a medical issue she was going through at the time. I’ll never forget when I told her we were moving Al to hospice. We cried together over the phone as I let my feelings and fears out to her. I could actually feel her hug and the ache she felt from not being able to hold me from almost 500 miles away.

My mom is on a cruise ship right now somewhere in the Hawaiian Islands getting ready to embark back across the Pacific Ocean to her home in California. Those same waters I spent so much of my youth in as my parents, sisters and I sailed the waters in and around Long Beach, CA and Catalina Island. For whatever reason she has been on my mind today, perhaps because my birthday is tomorrow and it’s natural to think about the woman who gave birth to me and raised me. I’m incredibly thankful to have her as my mother and wish her a safe journey back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment