Pages

Monday, November 19, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 19


Nov 19 – Day 19

My employer gives every single employee (all 3,300 or so) a certificate for a free turkey up to 20 lbs. I’m really thankful and think it’s a beautiful and meaningful gesture to show appreciation and thanks. We always order them out of my department and we make sure to order extras for the random employee who didn’t get one, who started working there after we pulled the HR list, temporary workers or travelers not on the HR list, etc. We wait a couple of weeks after the certificates and thank you letters are distributed and then any remaining turkey certificates are donated to a local charity like the Community Food Bank or the Salvation Army.

I took care of making that donation today on behalf of my employer. The main office for the Salvation Army is just a few miles from my hospital so I headed over there during my lunch this afternoon. The office was busy and a couple of employees were scurrying around. I noticed a grocery cart with a frozen turkey in it sitting by the desk. I can only assume someone had just dropped it off. It felt really good handing all those certificates over and knowing that they’ll be used to feed people who gather for a multitude of reasons. Some are down on their luck and can’t quite afford to feed their family, some are homeless, and some are lonely and without a family of their own.

I’m thankful not only for the gift my employer gives and the difference made by donating the remaining certificates but for the fact that organizations like the Salvation Army exist and open their doors and hearts to those in need.

No comments:

Post a Comment