Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 4


Nov 4 – Day 4

Tucson.  My hometown. I was born in Downey, California – raised in El Monte, California – lived in multiple cities (Monrovia, Paramount, South Gate and Downey – all Los Angeles suburbs) but consider Tucson, Arizona my hometown. I feel a deep connection to this gorgeous desert town that is so rich in history and culture.

A beautiful piece of that culture will be evident tonight at the All Souls Procession. The yearly parade that draws thousands takes place downtown where people fill the streets and walk the procession route to honor those in our lives that have passed. People in all their Dia de los Muertos finery and make up, some holding candles and mini alters, some playing musical instruments, some dancing, some with elaborate floats. An event for all ages where everyone is respectful and happy.  If you’ve never participated, you really should. You’ll be hooked. The sense of love, joy, respect and community is good for the soul. The procession is tonight and my family and I will be there. We’ll be the ones wearing Day of the Dead make up and carrying alters – we’ll be easy to spot. NOT.

I’m thankful for my Tucson and the beauty in this community.


No comments:

Post a Comment