Pages

Saturday, November 10, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 9


Nov 9 – Day 9

I feel so lucky to have three amazing children in my life who have given me so many years of joy. There were plenty of ups and downs in raising three strong-willed and spirited individuals but I can’t even imagine a life without them. However this little note of appreciation and thanks is to my middle child, my daughter Alison on this day, her birthday.

I’m incredibly thankful for the relationship I have with her. We talk daily, when work isn’t crazy we have lunch together most of the time and share so many of the same opinions and preferences. She was a real challenge as a teen and so independent. She left our home on good terms at 18 to live on her own and never looked back. She is very successful in her job and heavily relied upon by others. 

Alison was once in a very serious car accident that resulted in her being wheel-chair bound for a few months and I’ll never forget arriving in the emergency room after hearing news of her accident and being approached by the hospital chaplain who wanted to bring me to a private room to talk to me. I thought I was about to experience every parent’s worst nightmare and I felt all the blood drain from my face and my body grow weak. My emotions quickly recovered as she explained that Alison, while her trauma was very serious and she was going in to surgery, she’d be OK. For that brief instant when I thought the worst, I thought our lives were forever changed and they actually were. We all realized how precious life is and that we need to make sure our loved ones know just how loved they are.

So on your birthday Alison, I want you to know how much I love you and how lucky I feel to have you in my life. I am truly thankful for YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment