Pages

Sunday, November 18, 2012

30 Days of Thanks - Day 17


Nov 17 – Day 17

 My mom has always been a big reader, reading a new book every couple of days. When I was a child, we went to the public library every two weeks. We’d walk out of there with a huge stack of books, mostly my mom’s. She was known for getting up at 2AM and reading for a good hour or two as well as in the evening while we all sat in the living room watching TV. She could ignore the noise from the TV as we sat together on the couch; she involved in the story unfolding on the pages, the rest of us completely engrossed in Hawaii Five-O (original TV series). She instilled the love of reading in me and I’m happy to say my son has that same love of reading.

There’s something to be said for a good story. It takes you away from your everyday life and transports you to a different time and place. 

I was thinking about a few items to put on a Christmas list for myself and a Kindle is one of them. That got me to thinking about whether or not I would miss the actual physical book but it’s not the paper and turning the pages that makes reading so enjoyable, it’s the different life I lead as I insert myself in to the story. I’m thankful for books and everything they bring us. Paper or e-book, it still does the job.


No comments:

Post a Comment