Pages

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Simple Things Make for Great Things - Day 8

After spending the day outdoors in the beautiful fall weather, I spent my evening with my two daughters and some friends as we had a little fun celebrating Alison's birthday.

Alison's beloved dog, Bodi was put down very recently after an aggressive bout of cancer and she is still very much devastated. I wanted to do something special for her birthday that also honored her love of Bodi and I finally figured out what I would do. We were going to spend part of her birthday celebration at a local paint & drink studio so I signed up for an open studio session prior to her party. I came in with a few photos of Bodi and the owners of the studio helped me figure out how I might best represent him on canvas with my limited ability to paint.

When we arrived for the paint party, Bodi's framed portrait sat among the other painted canvases that lined the wall near our table. Alison and her guests were looking at some of the works of art when she spotted it. I had been harboring many doubts and fears about giving her this gift. What if she just gave that smile and said something like, "Cute."? But she actually loved it and there were tears and hugs between us both. It was the perfect gift for my daughter.

Simple, heartfelt gifts can be better than spending great amounts of money and can touch someone in a way no store bought gift can.

No comments:

Post a Comment