Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

Summer Breeze

Oh how I hate it. The days are getting shorter, the air is getting cooler. Won’t be long now before I feel the ridiculous mad rush of winter. You know what I mean. You typically get home from work at 6:15, 6:30, whatever. But in the summer it doesn’t really matter. It’s light out, it’s hot, it’s summer, you have all the time in the world. But then fall rolls around and it gets darker earlier. You get home at 6:15, 6:30, whatever, but it’s DARK. The night is upon you and you feel it coming to a close with so much ahead still to do. Go to the store, cook dinner, feed the dogs, clean up, take a shower. Odd that you had the same stuff to do in the summer and got home at the same time but you felt like you had allllll the time in the world. I really HATE winter.

There is so much to love about summer. Trips to Rocky Point and sitting in the hot Mexican sun while sitting your ass in the amazing clear water of the Sea of Cortez while tipping a cold Mexican beer to your lips, trips to Apache and jet skiing over the smooth, cool water, listening to the cicadas blasting out their summer song, getting a whiff of the moist desert air as the rain hits the creosote all around us. Yes, I could go on and on about summer. It makes me feel alive.

Winter on the other hand is miserable. Dark, cold mornings, too many layers of clothing which have to be peeled off as soon as you get inside any indoor structure where the heat is cranked way up, miserable traffic jams brought upon by school being back in session and those lovely snowbirds coming back to town. I think the only thing I really like about winter is soup. Yep, soup. It’s too hot to eat it in the summer but in winter I’m all about the albondigas, cocido, split pea, fideo and of course, Texas chili.

We’ve got one more Mexico trip in us for this summer. For most, it wouldn’t really be summer anymore but I expect to have nice weather still. It’ll be early October and the weather should still be nice. You see, we’ll be heading down to Puerto Penasco for Al’s birthday. The whole family (including Brian…he’s DEFINITELY family too) will go down for a couple of days and then at the end of the weekend, on Oct 11 (Al’s birthday), we’ll gather in Cholla Bay and walk out in the water at high tide and release some of Al’s ashes for the first time. Al asked that we do a couple of things with his ashes. 1) take some out to his favorite hunting spots and let them go in the wind to cover the rough hillsides he climbed so many times 2) a few should be kept next to the ashes of Dodger, our beloved old Golden Retriever who passed away at 13 but who saw our kids through their childhood and in to early adulthood, 3)some are to be put in the fire pit on New Year’s Eve when the annual Christmas tree burn takes place at the stroke of midnight, and 4) some are to be released in the waters of Cholla Bay.

Sweet, sweet summertime. Or better yet....Summer Breeze

See the curtains hangin' in the window, in the evenin' on a Friday night.
A little light a-shinin' through the window, lets me know everything is alright.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.

See the paper layin' in the sidewalk, a little music from the house next door.
So I walked on up to the doorstep, through the screen and across the floor.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.

Sweet days of summer, the jasmine's in bloom. July is dressed up and playing her tune.
And I come home from a hard day's work, and you're waiting there, not a care in the world.
See the smile a-waitin' in the kitchen, food cookin' and the plates for two.
See the arms that reach out to hold me, in the evening when the day is through.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.
Summer breeze, makes me feel fine, blowing through the jasmine in my mind.

1 comment: