Pages

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Batshit crazy or normal?

Do you ever wonder what it is that brings people together, that makes them connect to each other? I'm thankful for those people who come in to my life, many times they come to me through work. After all, it's where we spend most of our waking hours. I had dinner with one of those people tonight. I'm old enough to be her mother but I don't think she sees me that way, just like I don't see her as young enough to be my daughter. She's someone I know I can trust, someone I can tell stuff to (work or personal) and she "gets it". In her way, she makes me feel less crazy when I tell her some of my random stuff by giving me examples of how she's crazy too. Either we're both batshit crazy or else we're completely normal. I prefer to believe the latter.

I left dinner to meet my daughter Alison and one of her friends. I've known this friend for many years, dating back to Alison's junior high days. I never really "knew" her like I knew some of Alison's closer friends from back then but I always liked her. She and Alison reconnected a while back and Alison thinks the world of her. This sweet girl "friended" me on Facebook and I've enjoyed following her life and funny quirks. Because all three of my kids have a rather large circle of friends that are all intertwined, I've seen this girl on rare occasion at a party here, a wedding there, etc. When Al died, she sent me a wonderful message of comfort. This person ...this amazing girl...brought me such comfort tonight. Sure, she made me cry too (Three years???? Really???) ~ but she is so genuine and caring. It's obvious that her heart is true and real. You see, she has been through more than her fair share of pain. She has been through a horrible family tragedy and come out on the other side, dedicating her life and future to helping people who struggle with what her family has gone through. She reminded me that it's okay to hurt, to cry, to WANT to feel and talk about memories of our lives before our world as we knew it was forever changed and frankly, fuck those who judge you for it. What we feel, is what we feel...no apologies.

So don't be afraid to let go and give a little piece of yourself to someone. You never know, that five minutes of caring and compassion could lead to something you didn't expect. A connection with someone who's walked the path you're walking. What you give, you'll get back tenfold.

No comments:

Post a Comment