Pages

Friday, October 1, 2010

Ashes, ashes, we all fall down?


This post may be a little morbid but I'm in quite a conundrum. Al's ashes sit on a shelf in the living room in a beautifully inscribed and carved walnut box. The funeral home put his "cremains" in there for us. Al asked us to do a few things with his ashes and we will of course honor his request. He wanted some spread in Cholla Bay in Puerto Penasco, Mexico....our favorite relaxation spot. Some are to be spread at a favorite hunting spot, some are to be put next to Dodger's cremains and some are to be put in the firepit in our backyard this coming New Year's Eve when the clock strikes midnight and the traditional Christmas tree burn takes place.

So while I recognize that those ashes aren't really Al, I struggle with how I'm going to make this happen. My kids and I have talked about whether we can actually transfer the ashes in to separate vessels and I think we'll be OK emotionally. Here is where I am conflicted. So, let's say we open the walnut box and use a spoon to get some of the ashes. We scoop some in to a plastic bag to take to Mexico, we scoop some in to something to put in the New Year's firepit, we use some sort of funnel to get some in to another container with a small opening. Then what? What happens with the spoon, the empty plastic bag, the funnel? There are parts of Al's ashes clinging to those things. Do we throw those items in the trash? Do we rinse them in the sink? In my twisted mind that would mean Al is going in the trash or down the drain. What if we spill a little of the ashes? Then Al is mixed up with the dust and dog hair to eventually be swept up or vacuumed up?

The only thing I can think of to do is to use a plastic spoon, a paper funnel and save all those things that may have some of Al's ashes on them and then burn all those pieces when we put a disposable container of ashes in the New Year's fire. Then all those little specks of ashes that might cling to the utensils we use will go up in flames as well.

And then the next question....what do I do with the ashes from the firepit that contain Al's ashes?

No comments:

Post a Comment