Pages

Saturday, September 3, 2011

Be Kind Whenever Possible. It Is Always Possible. ~ The Dalai Lama

I mentioned it on Facebook that I was rear-ended while driving to work on Wednesday. It was around 7:45 and I was at an intersection close to work and I was sitting at a red light thinking about the day ahead when all of a sudden – BOOM. I looked up and in to my rear view mirror and saw a gold SUV pretty much on top of me. I motioned for the driver to pull in to the church parking lot next to us. When I got out I pretty much expected to see a crumpled bumper on my car but there was nothing. Just a couple of black marks from where her bumper hit mine. As soon as the other driver exited her vehicle she was so apologetic and concerned. I told her it was fine, neither of us was hurt and I didn’t see any real damage. I quickly opened and closed my trunk to make sure there wasn’t a problem and turned to her. I said, “There’s no damage to speak of, just a few little rubber marks so let’s not worry about it. Have a nice day!” She thanked me, apologized once more and we got in our cars and left.

It wasn’t a big deal and my reaction was completely natural. But it got me thinking much later that evening – How often do you think about how your actions and reactions can make or break someone else’s day? Probably not too often, I know I don’t. But when something happens, you become aware. Do you smile at people when you are passing each other on the sidewalk or in a hallway? Do you hold the door open for someone not caring if they’re male, female, young or old? Do you take a moment to pay a compliment or make someone feel good about themselves if only for that moment? Do you let a driver in to busy traffic in front of you? Do you ever think that the person you smile at and say hello to might be having one of the worst days ever and your simple act might be the only bright spot in their day?

It really is just that simple. It doesn’t take much effort, is no financial burden and will make you smile inside. I know, this is a corny post but it’s something I believe in wholeheartedly. Just be nice.

You don’t have to let people push you around and you don’t have to like everyone. But it’s pretty easy to give everyone a chance. It takes a lot of effort to be spiteful, prejudiced and completely caught up in your self. And really no effort to be nice. You’d be surprised.

No comments:

Post a Comment