Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

A healing place for the spirit

Working on the same hospital campus which houses Peppi’s makes it necessary for me to end up there on occasion. I remember the first time I went there after going back to work. I had to deliver ice cream treats to the staff for a recognition program. No problem! I hopped in my hospital issued golf cart and took off to the far edge of our property where Peppi’s is located, went in and made my presentation and then turned to leave. Again ~ No problem! No tears, no nothing…just doing my job. Got in the golf cart to go back to my office, turned the key and it kept turning, and turning, and turning. The damn thing was just spinning in the cylinder and the key wasn’t catching. The stupid golf cart was dead. At Hospice. Surely, you see the humor in that. I sure did. Anyway, that day showed me that I could do it. I can go to Hospice and not be bothered or upset.

I’ve been back a time or two since for work related things and then recently went to see if I could do something for my friend and her family when her dad was there. That particular visit brought me to the other end of the building…the REAL part of hospice….the part where people are patients….where people are dying. My friend’s dad’s door was closed so I left a note taped to the door for her to call me. But even being there in the same halls, at the same nurse’s station, smelling the same smells and hearing the same hushed voices didn’t bother me. I didn’t cry, wasn’t bothered or upset.

Just a couple of weeks ago I attended an amazing dedication celebration at Peppi’s. On the street side of the building lies a large open lot that is covered in gravel or decomposed granite or something. It’s very dull and not very aesthetically pleasing. Well, through generous donations a beautiful labyrinth and centering garden was built in the formally barren space. Part of my unwritten job description is that I attend such dedications to show camaraderie, employee cohesiveness, etc and to make sure there are plenty of people in attendance. So several of my coworkers and I went for the dedication ceremony. While it lasted much longer than any of us anticipated, it was simply beautiful. There were readings, artwork dedications, prayers and all of it was very simple. Prayers were offered from many faiths…Christian, Buddhist, Sikh or Baha’i (I don't remember which), Jewish, and Native American. Being one who’s faith is a little out of the norm, I felt the most connected to the ceremony when the Tohono O’odham blessed the site with feathers and burning sage. The tile art and rock labyrinth bring a much needed sense of peace to Peppi’s House. And yes, I cried. The words touched me a great deal and the entire ceremony took place right outside the private patio attached to the room Al passed in. But it was an emotional, thankful cry. Thankful that there are others who feel what I feel and were there to share in this beautiful experience. I looked towards the sky to try to blink away the tears but was caught up in what was happening above me. The few clouds in that magnificent blue sky seemed to be only over Hospice. Those wispy clouds started a slow swirl towards each other and joined as one. It was like all the souls of the people who had passed in Hospice were joining together for this happy occasion. It really amazed me and I found it to be quite spiritual.

However we are Navarro’s. And even if this beautiful, peaceful labyrinth had been there the night that Peppi’s was filled with my family and friends saying their goodbyes to my beautiful husband, I know the truth. We STILL would have been out there toasting Al, drinking beer, telling stories and partying in the parking lot. What can I say, it’s who we are!

No comments:

Post a Comment