Pages

Thursday, May 19, 2011

Family Ties are Precious Threads

When I was a young bride the thought of fitting in to a whole new family was a little daunting. I was used to MY family. MY mom, MY dad, MY sisters. It was very strange, very strange indeed. I liked the way MY family was, the way WE communicated, the feelings and thoughts WE shared. Yet I was expected to make myself fit in with all these new people, to find common interests, to learn to communicate their way, to form a bond with them, to make sure I became a part of their family. It’s what you do when you become part of another family. You adapt, you learn a whole new way to communicate, you learn a different set of values, and you accept these people with all their faults, warts and all. You understand that while these people are completely different from you, they deserve kindness, love and the utmost respect.

And you know what happens? THOSE people become YOUR people. You open your heart and you love THOSE people with everything you’ve got. Not just because they are a part of your husband but because they are now a part of YOU.

I could not imagine, even for a minute how awful my life would be had I not made THEM a part of ME. My father-in-law Al….the stern patriarch who loves his family deeply and has learned over the years to outwardly show that love. My mother-in-law Corky….she was fun, funny and definitely her own person. She let her husband think he ran the show but it was all her. My sister-in-law Mona….the one who wears her heart on her sleeve, so loving, so wacky! My sister-in-law Alicia….the one I spent the most time with, so accepting, so crazy & fun yet so responsible. My sister-in-law Cecilia….closest to me in age, the baby of her family, so funny & opinionated, so full of love for her family. Every uncle, aunt, cousin, niece and nephew….each so different, each so willing to accept and love me. I am part of their family and they are part of mine. Even without Al. They are still my family and always will be.

It had been a while since I’d seen them. But the time and miles disappeared when I walked through Alicia’s door last weekend.


I felt at home and closer to Al than I’d felt in a few months. I saw him in each and every one of their faces. I know how lucky I am. This is MY family.

No comments:

Post a Comment